EastWest Hollywood Backup Singers is a virtual instrument that lets you type in any word and have it sung by the industry’s top backup singers. Performed in a variety of styles such as Pop, Soul, and Gospel, this collection offers composers and producers over 220 WordBuilder-editable phrases and words sung using vowels and consonants and captured with realistic true legato transitions. It’s well-suited for bringing the expressiveness of rich solo lines and background vocal harmonies to your music, film, TV, or game productions.
Singers recorded for this library performed with the biggest names in the industry. Durga McBroom and Lorelei McBroom toured with Pink Floyd as backup singers for many years. C.C. White has worked with many iconic artists. She is also the star vocalist of EastWest’s Voices of Soul.
Hollywood Backup Singers was produced by Doug Rogers and Nick Phoenix. It gives you over 9GB of content, with 87 vocal instruments and 588 expressive solo phrases in total. Samples are triggered and played through the accompanying PLAY software, a 64-bit audio engine that powers the EastWest Quantum library. This software is compatible with Mac and Windows platforms, and operates in AU, AAX, and VST formats. It is also NKS-ready and runs as standalone software.
- Vowels includes regular and expressive vowel instruments and sustain expressive vowel instruments, which combine two vowel types. The expressive vowels also have LES versions, which contain additional samples of the vocals recorded through a Leslie speaker cabinet, something Pink Floyd did on many backing vocal tracks. Each instrument is programmed to crossfade between multiple dynamic layers using the Mod Wheel (CC1).
- Consonants includes pitched and unpitched consonant instruments. Each are programmed to crossfade between multiple dynamic layers using the Mod Wheel (CC1).
- Combo MOD includes a variety of instruments that use the Mod Wheel (CC1) to switch between multiple layers of regular and expressive vowel types, or in the case of the Xfde sub-folder, use the Mod Wheel (CC1) to crossfade between these layers. The expressive vowels also have LES versions, which contain additional samples of the vocals recorded through a Leslie speaker cabinet.
- Solo Phrases includes instruments that feature solo phrases and sub-phrases that were recorded in multiple root note positions for use in a variety of keys and modes. There are ‘LES’ versions available, which contain additional samples of the vocals recorded through a Leslie speaker cabinet. Each vocalist was recorded as a soloist, whereas the rest of the collection features the 3 vocalists recorded together.
- Keyswitch includes instruments that combine multiple articulations into a single instrument that uses blue-colored keyswitches to activate a given articulation. There are keyswitch instruments available for vowels, consonants, and solo phrases, including LES versions where available.
- WB Multi contains a specially designed multi-instrument that is preconfigured for use with WordBuilder. Simply load the WB Multi containing all the necessary phonetic sounds required to build words, type a phrase in the Text Editor (or choose from over 220 phrase and word presets) and the backup singers will sing the words.
- Hollywood Backup Singers features 3 microphone mixes.
- The Close microphone mix features 3 microphones in front of each singer that include a Neumann U47, a Telefunken 251, and a Shure SM7.
- The Rear microphone mix features a stereo Neumann KU100 Binaural Dummy Head, a pair of vintage RCA 77’s, and a pair of Sennheiser MKH800s.
- The Room microphone mix features 3 vintage Neumann M50 tube condenser microphones in a Decca-Tree configuration, and a pair of Neumann U67s.
- The recording console was a classic Trident A Range (40 Channels with Neve Flying Faders Automatic), the original and one of six surviving in the world, which has been used on some of the most famous recordings in music history.